OFFICE 365 EMAIL BACKUP
Microsoft Office 365 Allows You to Work Anywhere, Anytime Without the Need to Host Your Own Email Infrastructure. However, This Doesn’t Replace Your Responsibility to Maintain a Backup of Your Office 365 Mailboxes. Protect Office 365 Email Deployments of Any Size with US Cloud Office 365 Backup Services. Protect Against Email Data Loss Scenarios Not Covered by Microsoft. US Cloud Office 365 Backup Delivers Comprehensive Email Data Protection and Fast Data Recovery, to Get Your Exchange Online Users’ Mailboxes Back Up and Running Quickly. Without Office 365 Email Backup, Your Business is Missing the Keystone of Cloud Data Protection. Get Peace of Mind and Pricing Now.
Office 365 Email Shared Responsibility
Microsoft takes care of quite a bit, and provides a great service for their customers. However, Microsoft’s primary focus is on managing your Office 365 email infrastructure and maintaining mailbox uptime to your users. Microsoft takes care of the email infrastructure, but the email data remains the customer’s responsibility. The misconception that Microsoft fully backs up your email data on your behalf is quite common, and without a shift in mindset, could have damaging repercussions when this responsibility is left unattended. Office 365 Backup provides you with total access and control of your email data in Office 365.
Email Data Loss Happens, Even in the Cloud
According to the IT Compliance Policy Group report, 75% of email data loss is due to people deleting content. And 32% of companies will experience an email data loss event in the cloud. People delete email data or mailboxes – mostly accidental, but sometimes intentionally.
Gartner Office 365 Email Backup Findings
- Office 365’s native recycle bins and version histories are not true backups, and they don’t allow internal IT organizations to control backup and recovery; this presents potential security risks and slows recovery processes
- Office 365 Exchange Online offers robust high availability, but lacks many options for customer-controlled backup and disaster recovery solutions
- Third-party Office 365 backup tools provide recovery from internal threats and external attacks, as well as flexible and expanded policies including different backup retention periods
- Some third-party email archiving tools provide a DR alternative for Office 365 Exchange Online, in addition to email governance and compliance capabilities
Office 365 Email Peace of Mind
Sleep easy knowing your Office 365 email data is protected no matter what happens. Add users and mailboxes as needed to keep pace with your growing business. Assure internal stakeholders your Office 365 email is protected against data loss.
Meet Email Compliance Requirements
Compliance is a big driver for the need to backup email in Office 365. With Office 365 Backup, you can keep your email as long as you need — even if that length equates to “forever.” Store email data based on long-term retention policies for regulatory or compliances needs with US Cloud Office 365 Backup services.
Backup Office 365 Email to Any Location
Back up Your Office 365 email data and mailboxes to anywhere you would like it stored. This could be a US Cloud data center, your own data center or any of the public clouds. It’s your email data, your responsibility to protect your Office 365 email data, and your choice on where your Office 365 email backup data lives.
Office 365 Backup – Email
Take control of your Office 365 email mailboxes with US Cloud Office 365 Backup services. Eliminate the risk of losing access to Office 365 email data and ensure availability for your users. Store your email backups in your own off-site repository so you can recover lost emails whenever needed. You need to securely backup Office 365 email data to another location for a variety of reasons (i.e. to follow the 3-2-1 Rule of backup, to facilitate eDiscovery of Email archives, and to meet internal policies and compliance requirements). The most important reason being — to mitigate risk and have the peace-of-mind that you’ll be able to restore your users’ email when needed.
Exchange Online Recovery Limitations
- Item-level recovery cannot guarantee data retention, requires employees to change behavior, adds exposure to insider threats without the “hold” function, or increases costs and risks with the “hold” function.
Although the “Deleted Items” folder can be configured with different retention periods (including “forever”), many users have been trained to manually empty this folder frequently to save quota space with their on-premises solutions and are likely to continue doing so, rendering any retention policy placed by the administrator on this folder a moot point. Employee training to change behaviors will never guarantee a 100% success rate.
Microsoft recommends using “In-Place Holds” or “Litigation Hold” to avoid employee purge, and to extend retention or for inactive/departed employees. However, these hold functions have their limitations. Holds are “all or none,” which means all active folders and archived folders will be placed on hold, if enabled. One can’t place only the Recoverable Items folder on hold. This limitation will trigger unnecessary storage sprawl and even additional cost (users without an E3 or E5 plan have to pay $3 per user per month) and increase potential legal risks with too much data placed on hold.
- Mailbox recovery may not be adequate with short retention. Microsoft retains the deleted mailbox and its content for 30 days, which may not be sufficient for employee turnover and M&As. O365 plans other than E3 and E5 will incur costs to place inactive mailboxes on hold via In-Place Hold or Litigation Hold.